Tell-Tale Signs of an Impending Electrical Emergency

 In Electrician, Residential

There are some people who believe an electrical emergency is a power outage that results in no one in the house being able to use their devices. Other think of it is something more serious, such as an outlet that begins to emit a burning odor, or wires that spark and start a fire. Regardless of what you consider an electrical emergency, they are no fun and can be extremely dangerous.

In order to prevent electrical emergencies, you need to know some of the signs you are, or are about to, experience one.

Burning Smells

If you begin to notice a burning smell coming from your appliances, walls, electrical outlets or cords, you don’t need to ignore it. While some new appliances may have an odd odor right after being turned on, this should not last too long. If you notice a weird smell coming from your outlets, then you need to address it immediately. Be sure to unplug all the devices that are connected to the outlet and ensure everyone in the house knows about the situation. Try not to use any outlets until an electrician comes in to inspect it. If there is a burning odor coming from your breaker panel, this is another time you need to call an electrician.

Service Panels that Feel Hot

Your service panel should never feel hot when you touch it. This is the first indication of a serious problem. The fact is, extremely strong currents are moving through all the wires in your home and in the service panel. If you notice any type of change, such as dim lighting, frayed wiring, warmth or browning in the electric panel, then this is another time when you should call an electrician right away.

Carbon Monoxide

This is perhaps one of the deadliest electrical emergencies that you have to deal with. Poisoning from carbon monoxide is both invisible and silent. If your appliances are not installed properly, they may leak carbon monoxide, which can put your life and your entire family’s life in jeopardy. Some of the physical symptoms of this poisoning include nausea, headaches, general weakness, vomiting, dizziness, shortness of breath and blurred vision. The best way to know if you have an issue with carbon monoxide is to have a detector installed in your home and replace the batteries regularly.

Power Outages

A power outage that is unexplainable can be a concern that there may be an electrical emergency. If the wiring in your home is old, then it may be time to replace it. If not, you may be putting your home at risk. Contacting an electrician is the best way to know if this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Electrical emergencies are serious, and they should never be ignored. An electrician will be able to find the underlying issue and repair it in a timely manner to ensure not negative consequences occur.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment