3 Of the Most Common Electrical Hazards to Know About

 In Electrician

Can you imagine your life with no electricity? No lights, no AC, no oven or television. Due to how reliant people are on electricity today, it’s absolutely essential to learn how to use it and handle it safely.

Unfortunately, electrical shocks and electrical fires aren’t as rare as many people think. However, what you may not realize is that most of these situations are actually preventable. If you keep a few basic things in mind, you can ensure your home and family is safe from electrical hazards while enjoying your appliances and lights.

Water

By now, you probably know that electricity and water don’t mix; however, many people still reach for their hair dryer or their curling iron before their hands are dry. It’s essential that you don’t touch your electrical appliances or outlets with wet hands. And never reach into the water to pull out an appliance that is plugged in.

Make sure you are careful about electronics and outlets near water, too, this includes swimming pools. All lamps, radiators, hair dryers, curling irons, phones, televisions, radios, and cords need to be kept far away from any source of water – including pools, bathtubs and sinks. You also need to make sure both your hands and feet are completely dry before you touch any type of electronic.

Extension Cords

While extension cords are extremely helpful, they should not be used for long periods of time. These are designed to be used temporarily. As a result, you need to unplug them and store them safely when they are not being used.

Don’t ever run an extension cord through walls or ceilings, as this can cause them to overheat and result in electrical fires. In fact, according to information from the Electrical Safety Foundation International, improper use of extension cords actually results in more than 3,300 residential cords every year. If you always need a longer cord to plug in your appliances, then you are probably going to be better off installing a new outlet.

Curious Pets and Children

If you scan your office or home, chances are you are going to notice that your electrical outlets are found close to the ground. While this makes them accessible for plugging in cords and electronics it also makes them highly accessible to animals and children.

This doesn’t mean that you have to have all your outlets moved. In fact, there are a few simple changes you can make to keep kids and pets safe. Put plastic covers over your outlets to keep children from putting objects or their fingers in the sockets. Also, always keep any wires and cords away from pets because they may be tempted to chew on them.

If you are still concerned about the possibility of electrical shock or even an electrical fire, contact the professionals. They can help you find any potential hazards in your home, and give you tips and techniques to minimize the risk.

Recent Posts