Are You Dealing with an Electrical Emergency? These 4 Signs Say Yes!

 In Electrician

There are many people who consider an electrical emergency as a simple power outage that prevents the use of electrical devices. For others, it is something more serious, such as wires that have begun a fire or outlets that are emitting a burning odor. Regardless of what you consider a real electrical emergency – there’s one thing that’s for sure – they aren’t any fun. This is why it is essential that you identify possible threats of an electrical emergency and find out what needs to be done to prevent it from happening.

The good news is, you don’t have to guess if you are dealing with an electrical emergency. There are a few signs that will let you know for sure, which are highlighted here.

  1. Burning Smells

Have you noticed a burning smell coming from your electrical outlets, appliances, walls or cords? If so, you shouldn’t ignore it!

Even though there are some new appliances that may have that “funky” odor when they are first turned on, it should not last too long. If you begin to notice a strange smell coming from an outlet, don’t ignore it. Unplug all devices connected to it and make sure that everyone in your house knows what’s going on.

Make sure you avoid using any outlets until you have an electrician come and inspect the situation. If you begin to notice that there’s a burning smell coming from the breaker panel, be sure to call an electrician immediately.

  1. A Warm or Hot Service Panel

Your service panels should never feel too hot for you to touch. If they do, then it indicates a huge and potentially dangerous issue.

Your home’s wires carry extremely strong currents and all of the wires are extremely robust. If you begin to notice changes to your electric panel, such as frayed wiring, dim lighting, warmth of browning, then there’s an issue that needs to be addressed right away.

  1. The Presence of Carbon Monoxide

Perhaps the most dangerous electrical issue that may occur is if carbon monoxide is present in a home. If your appliances have not been installed properly, then they may begin to leak carbon monoxide and put your life and the life of your family in jeopardy.

Some of the physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include general weakness, nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath and blurred vision. It’s a good idea to keep a carbon monoxide detector in your home and working to ensure this situation doesn’t occur.

  1. Power Outages

If you have unexplained power outages, then it can be a cause for concern and indicate an electrical emergency. If the wiring in your home is old, it may be time to replace it. However, if you don’t do this, you are putting your home at risk.

If you notice any of the issues listed here, then you are experiencing an electrical emergency. Be sure to call an electrician as soon as you notice an issue to ensure the problem doesn’t become worse.

Recent Posts