The 3 Most Common Causes of Electrical Fires

 In Electrical Threats

Even a seemingly insignificant electrical issue can transform into a deadly and devastating situation. The good news is, you can minimize the possibility you will experience this dire situation when you know the most common causes of electrical fires.

Keep reading to find out what these are.

1. Old Appliances

Some old appliances don’t meet the modern safety standards that are in place. This can cause an electrical fire.

If an appliance has frayed wires, it can overheat and cause sparks. Also, if there are too many appliances plugged into a single extension cord, it can create a hazardous situation. It’s a good idea for you to contact an electrician to add new outlets, and sometimes circuits to your home, or to upgrade the existing ones.

Try not to ever use an extension cord as a permanent solution for powering various appliances and devices, especially if they aren’t being used safely.

2. Portable Heaters

A portable heater is a common device used by many people during the colder months of the year. They should never be used near combustible items like curtains, clothing, or bed sheets.

Make sure to keep portable heaters away from these items to avoid a potential fire hazard. Rather than using a traditional space heater, consider an enclosed radiator heater. This option is much safer as it works by diffusing heat from the entire area of the unit.

3. Faulty Wiring

Another common problem is faulty wiring. Faulty wiring can occur from poor installation, rodent damage, and worn electrical components. If you have a home or your electrical system is more than 25 years old, it’s a good idea to invest in an electrical system inspection.

Signs of a Possible Risk

Getting to know the signs that your home may be at risk for an electrical fire is important. If your circuit breaker continues to trip, this is a sign of a problem. A tripped breaker may indicate an overloaded circuit, a bad breaker, or a problem with an appliance. Noticeable burning smells and discolored outlets are also a cause for concern.

Seek Professional Help

If you need more safety tips and information on causes of electrical fires, it’s a good idea to reach out to licensed electricians. It’s a good idea to schedule a regular inspection of your electrical system to have peace of mind there are no serious issues present.

Remember, time can wear down even the highest-quality appliances, and you shouldn’t wait until an electrical fire occurs to realize you should have taken action sooner. Contact the professionals at Tann Electric today to have confidence that your electric system is up to par and that there are no serious issues that may eventually lead to a devastating electric fire in your home.

Recommended Posts