Kansas: 913-236-7337 I Missouri: 816-361-7337 I Lawrence: 785-843-7337

Most homeowners are aware of the most common electrical dangers and hazards in their home. However, uncommon issues, such as overheating wires or dust, aren’t as obvious, but they can pose just as big of a risk to your home and your family.
If you want to learn more about possible electrical safety risks and how you can safeguard your family against them, keep reading. Here you can learn about the potential dangers and what you need to do to prevent them.

Getting to Know the Most Common Electrical Dangers

There are more than a few common electrical issues. Some of these include the overuse of extension cords, unattended portable heaters, and faulty wiring.

Several issues related to the original construction of the home, or a renovation project that has been done can cause faulty wiring. Make sure you always have electric work handled by a licensed electrician to avoid these issues.

If you aren’t sure if the current wiring in your home is safe, it’s best to contact a licensed electrician right away. They can inspect the existing wiring in the home and recommend any repairs or replacements that may be needed.

Extension cords are often a problem if you use them as a permanent solution to a temporary need. They aren’t designed for extended use or for the use of multiple devices. You need to think about having other outlets installed, instead of using an extension cord as a substitute for actual outlets.

Less Common Electrical Dangers

Old appliances, dust, and computers are all considered uncommon electrical dangers.

Computers, even the newer models, can generate a large amount of heat if they aren’t ventilated properly. Overheating affects the wires more than most homeowners realize. The rubber that covers the wires serves as an insulator to help protect against electric shock. As electricity moves through the wiring, it generates heat. The rubber insulator can tolerate a specific amount, but if it is exceeded, an electrical fire may occur.

Many people do not realize that dust is an electrical hazard. If there is a lot of dust around the home, it can enter the sockets and may even ignite if there’s a significant amount accumulated.

An older appliance may also be a potential risk for an electrical fire. Older appliances often have internal wiring that can become defective as time passes. Keep in mind, the concerns here are just some of the electrical dangers lurking in your home. There are others to be aware of, too.

How the Professional Can Help

If you aren’t sure if your home’s electrical system is safe and up to par, then reach out to a professional electrician. They can evaluate the overall health of your system and ensure there are no potential hazards present. If there are, an electrician can make the needed repairs to help ensure that no serious issues occur.

Looking for a professional electrician in Kansas City? Contact Tann Electric today.